The Angelina of the River and County (March 18, 2026)

by Scott Sosebee

If someone asked you which one of Texas’ 254 counties is named after a woman, what would you answer? If you are a resident of East Texas, you would likely know that the answer is Angelina County, the county that boasts Lufkin as its county seat and also contains cities and towns such as Hudson, Diboll, Huntington, Wells, and Zavalla. Angelina County was likely—technically—named for the river that forms the boundary between Angelina and Nacogdoches counties, but the river was named for a mysterious Caddo woman that the Spanish missionaries gave the name “Angelina,” or “little angel.” Her story is a remarkable one, one of those fortuitous historical convergences that seem to defy all logic and expectation.

The Spanish first appeared in what is now East Texas in the 1540s when the remnants of the Hernando de Soto expedition that explored and tried to conquer what is not the southeastern United States. De Soto, the expedition’s commander, was killed in a battle with Caddo peoples on the banks of the Mississippi (in either Louisiana or Arkansas, depending on whatever interpretation you read), but the survivors of that battle made their way to a Hasinai Caddo Village that was located along the banks of a river, the same one that the Spanish would later name the Angelina. The Spaniards—tired, hungry, and no doubt full of fear—were treated well by these Natives, which allowed them to eventually reach the Gulf of Mexico, fashion a raft, and make their way to New Spain (Mexico). The Spanish, perhaps due to their difficulties during both the De Soto expedition in the southeast and the equally failed Francisco Vasquez de Coronado expedition in the southwest (both in the 1540s), abandoned efforts to colonize and conquer their northern frontier and concentrated most of their efforts on the interior of New Spain.

That was the situation for about a hundred and fifty years, but the news of Frenchmen Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle making an incursion into the Spanish northern frontier in the late 1680s alarmed Spanish authorities in Mexico City, so, in 1690, they commissioned a new venture to establish a mission in what would later be East Texas. Expedition leader Damian Massanet—a Franciscan friar—chose a spot near the Neches River to locate San Francisco de los Tejas. Through later accounts of the project, historians learned that Massanet, when he went to a local Hasinai village to evangelize, encountered a young woman who expressed a desire to learn more about the Spanish, Christianity, and—especially—the unique language that the new visitors spoke. Pleased, Massanet allowed her to accompany him back to the mission and also to help the Spaniards in the quest to build a spot in her home.

The 1690 Spanish attempt was not successful, and in 1693—citing a lack of supplies and support from Mexico as well as growing suspicions from the indigenous people—Spain abandoned the mission. When the Spanish left, at least one Native person accompanied the missionaries—the young Hasinai woman who wanted to learn the ways of the Europeans. She was taken to San Juan Bautista, at that time the farthest northern Spanish outpost, near the Rio Grande close to present-day Eagle Pass.

Angelina, as she had come to be called, stayed at San Juan Bautista for about a decade, learning Spanish as well as converting to Christianity. However, the sparse, almost desert-like conditions of the Rio Grande area was not her home, so she decided to leave and return to her village. That could have been the last anyone heard about Angelina, but her contact with the Spanish—and their rivals the French—were not finished.

Frenchman Louis Juchereau de St. Denis had begun to explore in the lower levels of the Mississippi river in the early 1710s. On one expedition he had come up the Red River to what is now northwestern Louisiana. On a visit to a Caddo village, he reported that he had met a women named “Angelique,” who not only spoke Spanish but had also been baptized into the Christian faith. Because St. Denis also spoke Spanish, “Angelique” helped him communicate with her fellow villagers as well as hire guides for his journeys. Was this the same Angelina that had helped the early Spanish missionaries and gone to San Juan Bautista? No one can definitively say that it was, but it is the logical assumption.

St. Denis would have another, indirect, influence on the accounts of Angelina. He would also travel to San Juan Bautista and eventually be a part of a new Spanish endeavor, led by Domingo Ramon, to establish Spanish missions in East Texas. That undertaking saw the Spanish reestablish San Francisco de los Tejas, and also Missions Concepcion, Guadalupe, San Jose, and Dolores. Ramon wrote in reports that he had “recourse to a learned woman of the Hasinai tribe,” which was likely Angelina as he also reported that she spoke Spanish. Her presence was also probably the reason the expedition located Mission Concepcion near her home village.

Mentions of Angelina appear again in 1718 when she supposedly helped Martín Alarcón translate when he founded San Antonio, and then again in 1719 when she was instrumental in the rescue of a French officer named Simars de Bellisle who had been stranded on Galveston Island and captured by Natives. The last account of Angelina came in 1721 and 1722. The Spanish and French had fought “The Chicken War” in East Texas and western Louisiana in 1719 that caused the Spanish to briefly retreat from the missions. They returned in 1721-1722 and Angelina was one of the Natives who welcomed the soldiers and missionaries back and—once again—through translation and friendship eased relations between the Natives and the Spanish.

There is no mention of the Hasinai woman after those entries, so there is no way of knowing her final fate and the rest of her life. Were the accounts of “Angelina” all those of one woman? Both the French and Spanish writers of seemed to be sure it was, and most present historians have concurred with that assumption. When Angelina County was carved out of Nacogdoches County in 1846, she received the final honor of having it named for her, the only county in Texas named after a woman.

The East Texas Historical Association provides this column as a public service. Scott Sosebee the Executive Director of the Association and can be contacted at sosebeem@sfasu.edu or via www.easttexashistorical.org.

Next
Next

“The Lord of the Highway:” West Texas’ Troubadour Joe Ely (March 14, 2026)